Port Augusta is one step closer to the opening of a community-owned tertiary education centre next year with the appointments of two project coordinators.
Lexie Morris and Louise Foote will be the driving force behind the establishment of Uni Hub Spencer Gulf Port Augusta – a university hub providing support to those wanting to study at a tertiary level, without leaving the region.
Ms Morris and Ms Foote will work closely with secondary schools and industry to identify the local tertiary education demands. This will enable Uni Hub Spencer Gulf to work with its university partners to offer the courses that best meet these local needs.
Ms Morris said she believes that education was key in upskilling, retaining and cultivating people in the region to improve continuity in the professional work force and access to local services.
“One of the fundamental ideas of the Uni Hub is ‘we grow our own solutions’,” she said.
“I am excited about being able to help unearth and support the human resources we already have here in Port Augusta.”
Ms Morris was born and bred in Port Augusta, completing a double bachelor’s degree in Science and Education in 2007. Over the years has held various curriculum leadership positions at Caritas College. She is a passionate educator and brings much learning leadership experience, particularly working one-one-one with students to ensure successful learning outcomes.
Ms Foote knows first-hand the challenges associated with studying tertiary education while living regionally. She finished a Bachelor of Management (Human Resource Management) and a Master of Management (Administrative Management) via distance education while living in Port Augusta.
“I am excited by the opportunities the Uni Hub can offer school leavers and their families, people wanting to upskill, mature learners and industry,” she said.
“It will allow students to complete their tertiary qualifications at home, in a supported and safe environment.”
Ms Foote has a passion for ensuring regional South Australians can capitalise on new and emerging industries. She brings extensive communications and community engagement as well as training and employment experience across a wide range of industries including health, aged care, education, maritime, heavy industry and most recent renewables.
Uni Hub Spencer Gulf quick facts:
• Uni Hub Spencer Gulf is community-owned and driven tertiary education facility that brings educational opportunities to people in the Spencer Gulf region. The Port Pirie campus opened in 2019 with the Port Augusta campus expected to open in 2020.
• Uni Hub Spencer Gulf provides the opportunity for people to study a range of tertiary courses without the need to relocate to a metropolitan area.
• By working closely with industry, the community, schools and tertiary providers, the hub will offer tertiary courses that address skill shortages in the region, with a vision to grow our own competitive, vibrant and self-reliant economy and community.
• The Port Augusta Uni Hub Spencer Gulf campus will provide students with the support, space, and technology to study individually or in groups. Students studying with our university partners also receive face-to-face mentoring and tutorials to assist them achieve their academic goals.
• The campus will be available to all students studying university – including those not studying through Uni Hub Spencer Gulf’s university partners.
Contact: Moira Coffey – Director, Uni Hub Spencer Gulf: Mobile 0421 034 740 or email: email@example.com