Duration: Up to 2 or up to 4 years part-time
Designed to provide an opportunity for first-time university study, UNE’s Diploma in Town Planning will open doors to a career in planning with employment potential across all Australian regions.
This online course provides you with foundation knowledge and skills to put you on track for a career in town planning, including rural planning and urban development, that aims to help communities work and thrive. As a pathway to university study, this diploma is also your springboard to further study and career development.
Online, with local support through Uni Hub Spencer Gulf
- demonstrate a technical and theoretical body of knowledge in urban and regional planning, including deep understanding in some areas of the discipline;
- demonstrate cognitive and technical skills to analyse and evaluate approaches to land-use and built-environment problems in a range of changing social, economic and environmental contexts;
- demonstrate knowledge and skills to identify, synthesise and act on the diverse sources of information used by professional planners in the governance of different urban and regional contexts; and
- demonstrate initiative and judgement in addressing particular planning problems, capacity to work independently and collaboratively, and ability to communicate specialised information via written, oral and graphical forms.
UNE’s Diploma in Town Planning is an entry-level qualification that opens doors to the profession and further tertiary study and qualifications. Career opportunities as a graduate include positions in:
- federal, state and local government offices
- private consulting firms
- development companies.
Areas of employment focus could include:
- urban design and place-making
- regional and rural planning
- development assessment and land use
- environmental planning and natural resource management
- social and community-based planning
- heritage and conservation.
As an introductory course and career enabler, the Diploma in Town Planning is right for you if any of the following matches your position right now:
- looking at widening your employment prospects
- seeking a career change and interested in planning
- a local government employee wishing to develop skills and career prospects
- completed a TAFE Cert IV (in any area)
- currently working in the planning system in a clerical/administrative capacity
- an unqualified planning assistant.
If you are already working in a local government planning office and looking to further your career, this course will deliver what you’re aiming for. Even without related work experience, UNE’s Diploma in Town Planning will put you on track for a career in town planning with potential to work across a range of areas and workplaces.
By successfully completing this Diploma at UNE, you’ll earn credits towards the Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning if you choose to progress you career as a professional planner.
Contact Uni Hub
Want to know more?
We can organise an appointment to explain specific course information or answer any questions. We provide full application and enrolment support. We communicate direct with the university and are here to help throughout the entire process and beyond.